Apply: First-time Freshmen
Which type of student are you?
Eligible first-time freshmen must qualify for the Tennessee HOPE Scholarship by meeting the following criteria:
- Enroll within 16 months of high school graduation
- Minimum 21 ACT or minimum 1060 SAT
- Overall minimum 3.0 GPA
- Home school graduates- minimum 21 ACT
- GED recipients- minimum 21 ACT; minimum average Revised GED score is 170
- HiSet recipients- minimum 21 ACT; minimum average HiSet score is 15.
Visit the Tennessee Hope Scholarship page for more information on Tennessee HOPE eligibility.
First-time freshmen wishing to apply for UT Promise and begin classes at UT Knoxville, UT Chattanooga, UT Martin or UT Health Science Center must meet the following requirements. These deadlines apply only to high school students graduating in spring 2020 and who plan to enroll at a UT institution in fall 2020.*.
|Deadlines||Steps for Eligible First-time Freshmen|
|Nov. 1, 2019||Complete the TN Promise application.**
Visit www.TNPromise.gov and apply through the TSAC Portal.
|Dec. 15, 2019||Apply for undergraduate admission to your UT institution(s) of choice.|
|Feb. 1, 2020||File the 2020-2021 Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
Applications open October 1. Visit www.fafsa.gov.
|March/April 2020||Attend mentor meeting hosted by tnAchieves.
You will receive a tnAchieves mentor until you arrive at UT. Check your email for communications from tnAchieves about this meeting.
|July 1, 2020||Complete and submit 8 hours of community service.
Submit by 11:59 PM CT at www.tnachieves.org.
|July 1, 2020||Ensure UT institution of choice is listed on your TSAC Portal and FAFSA.|
|July 1, 2020||Complete financial aid verification, if selected.
Verification is completed through your financial aid office.
|Fall 2020||Enroll as a full-time student at your UT institution of choice.|
After you enroll at a UT campus in fall 2020, you will be paired with a UT mentor. You will receive communications about your mentor summer/fall 2020. To stay informed, check your email for updates from tnAchieves and UT.
Since the UT Promise program is currently in development, please continue to monitor this website for more information.
* For students enrolling in fall 2020 but graduating prior to spring 2020 (i.e. took a gap year, etc.), you must meet all deadline requirements except applying for the TN Promise by November 1. You will not have to apply for TN Promise and, thus, will not need to attend the March/April tnAchieves mentor meeting. You will also have a different process for submitting your service hours. Please monitor the website for more information on how to submit your service hours come spring 2020.
** It is important to note that UT Promise functions separately from TN Promise and can only be used at universities falling under the University of Tennessee system. UT Promise students are not eligible to receive TN Promise funds.
Download the printable UT Promise checklist (PDF)