for Tennessee families with income under $50,000
(Assets below $75,000)
Moving You Closer to a Debt-Free Degree
UT Promise is a new undergraduate scholarship program guaranteeing free tuition and mandatory fees* for qualifying Tennessee residents attending UT’s campuses in Knoxville, Chattanooga, Martin and Memphis. UT Promise is a student-success oriented scholarship program that requires students to complete volunteer service hours and meet with a volunteer mentor each semester to ensure a successful student experience.
Launching in fall 2020, this innovative scholarship will cover a student’s last-dollar amount of tuition and mandatory fees after other financial aid is applied (such as Pell grants, HOPE Scholarship or other institutional scholarships) to students who qualify for HOPE and whose family household income is under $50,000 a year.
Family household income is defined as “the accurate, verifiable total combined amount of parent and student adjusted gross income and untaxed income of less than $50,000, AND a total maximum asset amount of less than $75,000, as defined on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).”
* Mandatory fees include a facilities fee, maintenance fee, library fee, student services fee, technology fee, transportation fee, etc. Mandatory fees do not include program of study fees, room and board, book costs or other postsecondary expenses. Visit your campus website for more information on mandatory fees.
Qualifying students must meet the following criteria:
- Tennessee resident
- Family household income under $50,000/year
- Receive the Tennessee HOPE Scholarship
- Be admitted and attend any UT campus
- Complete 8 volunteer service hours and participate in mentoring each semester
To maintain eligibility, a student must:
- Be a full-time, continuously enrolled student
- Maintain the Tennessee HOPE Scholarship
- Complete FAFSA annually, including any verification requirements
- Complete service and mentoring requirements each semester
Make a Gift
Donate to the UT Promise Endowment to help ensure this scholarship truly is a promise for years to come.